Re: [TCLUG:12123] Remote X Permissions

On Tue, 11 Jan 2000, Perry Hoekstra wrote:

> Greet the sun all,
>
> I am try to start up the Netscape Adminsitrator client on a Solaris and
> send the display to my Linux box.  I did a set display=<ip address>:0.0
> and then fired that sucker up.  However, I am getting a 'refused by
> server' error.  It goes on to say that the client is not authorized to
> connect to the server.  Where do you set remote permissions for X?  I
> could not find anything in my copy of 'Running Linux'.

The simple way to fix that is to get on the machine that will we accepting
X connections (in this case, your Linux box), and type 'xhost +hostname'
where hostname is the DNS name of your box, or IP address, of you'd
rather. This is, however, not the most secure method. The _real_ way to do
it is with a mysterious exchange of MIT-MAGIC-COOKIEs, which is just too
involved for me to get into. Anyone else care to explain this?

~Dan