RE: [TCLUG:12193] newbie distros (was: Re: [TCLUG:12143] hello)

Is there any reason that RPMS are used by RedHat, Caldera, SuSE, Turbolinux
( I know RH invented RPM so that's a given)

and DEBs are used by Debian and .....

I dunno.  I wanna know.  Is there any technical advantage of one over the
other?   i.e are debs always precompiled?  sometimes?  are there source debs
and debs?

Mark