Re: [TCLUG:12217] Package formats

Scott Dier - dieman wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Ben Kochie wrote:
>
> > DEB used by debian and debian clones, from what I remember, DEB's are gzip
> > compressed CPIO archives  a directory called debian/ stores all the
>
> Dude, your all backwards. :)
>
> RPM is gzip CPIO archives.
>
> DEB is tar/gzip then ar'ed.

And Debian have an excellent source system.
	apt-get source packagename
Downloads and extracts the source code, apt-get has a command switch to
automatically build a biniary debian package, or you can fisrt do your
customizations to the source, enter the source directory, (cd
/usr/src/packagename) and type debian/rules biniary
(/usr/src/packagename/debian/rules is the script, binary is the
argument. Must be run in the source directory though.)

It's pretty cool, you can download the source, apply patches, and build
a biniary package in 5 command lines.

apt-get source packagename
cd packagename-*
Customize