Re: [TCLUG:12514] Linux on an Alpha

> > Use ARC/AlphaBIOS if at all possible. What machine is this... I
> > currently have an ol' Multia running my ipmasq for my cable modem...
>
> I don't know what to tell the ARC to do... even when I do get to it.
>
> It's a DEC Alphaserver 2000. I just want to purge NT off it so DEC UNIX
> will install...

Read the RH 6.0 (Thats what you're using, right?) install guide Alpha
addendum. Read the ARC boot stuff. Its much less painful to use ARC,
since it recognises DOS style partitioning, which Linux uses by default,
if you use SRM you have to make Linux use BSD disk slices... (and the RH
install guide doesn't tell you so, or how to do so...) Plus it lets you
use the MILO loader, which is pretty much the best one, and seems to
just plain take less RAM... When partitioning, remember a small (1mb or
less, MILO's real small...) FAT partition to hold MILO. I also know the
magic to make the damn thing autoboot once you get it installed. Had to
dig like hell for it. Why isn't it in the damn howto... I'll write it
down once you ask me. :)