Re: [TCLUG:12531] tomcat vs jserv

"Schlough, Mark" wrote:

>         I'm running Apache 1.3.9 / Apache-JServ 1.0b3 / GnuJSP / Cocoon 1.6
>
>         for a JSP & Servlet enabled webserver.  Cocoon also gives me an XML
> framework to build on.
>
>         Do yoy know of the pros/cons of JServ <-> Tomcat?
>
>         I haven't been listening/reading on the differences between them.
> What were the issues you addressed when you opted for tomcat?
>
>         I'd like to know the differences if you know any.

Tomcat is essentially the Java Servlet and JSP reference engine built by
Sun and turned over to the Apache Group.  I am not aware of any
intention that Tomcat function in a production environment.  Advantages
to Tomcat are that it is current for both the Servlet and JSP
specifications.  GnuJSP is only at 1.0 and I thought that the person who
created/supported GnuJSP was stopping ongoing support/upgrades.  Did
someone take it over to move to 1.1?  Tomcat is all Java so that I can
run Tomcat inside VisualAge for Java and debug servlets inside the IDE
(but not JSPs).  It is quite simple to use, start-up/shutdown and
involves only the overhead of a JVM.  You don't have Cocoon built in but
I was not looking for an XML framework (yet).

I look at Tomcat as a development engine while Apache/JServ/GnuJSP as a
production environment.  Instead of Tomcat, you could swap in the free
version of Allaire's JRun and get the same capability (except
debugging).

--
Perry Hoekstra
Consultant