Re: [TCLUG:12613] Reasons not to use Apache?

Eric M. Hopper said:
> 	What are you going to be doing to this multilevel hierarchy from
> the client?

Everything.  As I just explained in my response to Christopher, this is the
administration interface, so it needs to be able to create, configure,
delete, edit, etc.

> Also, what can you do to make the decision easy to change
> later if you or your boss turns out to be right?

Oh, I'll be doing what I can in that area regardless...

> 	It's painful to create user interfaces.  Browsers have done a
> lot of the hard work for you.  Making your server browser accessible
> makes it easier to write a client, because, largely, you don't have to.

Oops - my bad.  This functionality is not going to be browser accessible.  It
will have its own custom client software regardless of whether the server is
running through Apache or not.  (Which, I suppose, is another (philosophical)
reason why I don't want to put it in Apache:  If it's not interacting with a
web browser, WTF is it doing in a web server?)  This service could easily be
running on a machine which doesn't serve web pages at all, in which case
installing Apache just so you could have this service available is pure
overhead.

The protocol I wrote up is intended to function at the level of (and
structurally similar to) SMTP or NNTP, both of which have been successfully
presented through web interfaces, so going to a web interface in the future
would not be precluded, but that's not a part of the plan in the foreseeable
future.

--
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+ !K
w---$ O M- !V PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv- b++ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+