Re: [TCLUG:12702] Network Printers

On Fri, Jan 21, 2000 at 02:03:23PM -0600, LaBerge, Matthew wrote:

> Here at Dunwoody Institute we have a WinNT network, I would like to add
> one of our network printers to my KDE printer list can anyone give me a
> short tutorial on how this is done...  ?  If not that's ok too.
>
> P.S. I'm runnin Caldera Openlinux 2.3

I'm not sure how you'd put it in your KDE printer list, unless the KDE
printer list is just a front end to the printcap.  Here's the real way to
do it, no GUI involved.

Get the IP address of the printer you want to print too.

Open up your favorite text editor and open the /etc/printcap file.
Remember, you have to log in as root to change the printcap file.  The
following is an output of 'ls -la /etc/printcap'.

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1079 Dec 16 14:30 /etc/printcap

Next, you need to add a printcap record for your printer.  Find out which
printer daemon you have installed, LPD or LPRNG.  It does make a
difference.  For LPD, your printcap entry would look like the following:

<printer_name>:\
        :lp=/dev/null:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/<printer_directory>:\
        :rm=<remote.machine.IP>:\
        :rp=<remote_printer_name>:\
        :bk:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

For LPRNG, use the following format (notice the missing ':\'s)

<printer_name>
        :lp=
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/<printer_directory>
        :rm=<remote.machine.IP>
        :rp=<remote_printer_name>
        :bk
        :mx#0
        :sh

Create the directory for the spool:

# mkdir /var/spool/lpd/<printer_directory>

Change the ownership:

# chown lp.lp /var/spool/lpd/<printer_directory>

Restart LPD:

# killall -HUP lpd

Print! ;)

For more info, look for the Printing-HOWTO on http://www.linuxdoc.org or
on your local machine (depending upon your distribution).

--
Chad Walstrom                         mailto:chewie@wookimus.net
a.k.a ^chewie, gunnarr               http://wookimus.net/~chewie

PGP signature