Re: [TCLUG:12706] VENIX

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000, Christopher Palmer wrote:

> heh :) My hat's off, man. So what, do real function calls show up when you
> look at a bin with one of those tools? Seems unlikely.

truss on Solaris (strace on linux) will show you the system calls that
it's making. strace I don't think does quite as good a job; at least
according to BUGTRAQ it's possible to hide some syscalls from strace on
linux. Both will also show you what libraries a binary opens while
executing, which is useful for debugging as well as intrusion detection.

> And where can I
> get hexedit -- is that standard? I see here truss is showing that kind of
> thing in its output. Fun.

freshmeat. There are two utils called 'hexedit' -- they're both
ncurses-based, and one is better than the other, because it lets you edit
raw devices, which is neat, IMHO.

~Dan D.

--  I know you think you thought you knew what you thought I said,
--  but I'm not sure you understood what you thought I meant.

++  Dan Debertin
++  Systems Administrator
++  Bitstream Underground, Inc.
++  danield@bitstream.net