Re: [TCLUG:12807] bad day (more details)

Assuming that you have been tipped, it's too late to preserve any evidence
that can be used to prosecute.  More often than not, compromised machines
are usually "contaminated" by their respective owners, not the intruders
themselves.

Whenever a machine is suspected, it is most important not to touch
anything.  Kick the network cord out of the wall and step away.  After the
fact forensic techniques can vary from person to person, but if you're
interested in legal prosecution, you'll want to proceed very carefully
with your evidence, and seek external help and/or documentation.

Of course, I'm certain that members of the LUG (myself included) would be
happy to volunteer their efforts in troubleshooting this event.  In any
case, depending upon the machine's role on your network, you may want to
consider replacing it with a hot standby box so that your connectivity may
continue.  Inform your user base of the situation, and have them take
whatever reasonable action you see fit (usually a password change, general
"look over your shoulder" advise, etc).

If you want to pursue revealing the identity of the intruder (or at least
their source of origin), do so after you have taken steps to secure the
immediate hole.  There are a number of additional steps, etc that you can
take from this point on, but far too many to go into detail in this
message.

Peter Lukas