Re: [TCLUG:12883] ipchains and tcp-wrappers

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Patrick McCabe wrote:

> I understand the distinction between ipchains and tcp wrappers (well, sort
> of), but I don't have a good feel for the implications.  So here is the
> question: what will tcp wrappers do for you that you couldn't do with
> ipchains alone?

They are great to use for just a second line of defense; IE, if your
firewall rules do not get activated for some reason on bootup, you can
restrict connections with tcp wrappers. You can also use them to allow
only certain users to connect or that type of things (eg, disallow any
connections from root@... even if it comes from a host that ipchains
allowed through.)

--
Nate Carlson <carlson@real-time.com>    | Phone : (612)943-8700