Re: [TCLUG:12997] DeCSS

If they want to arrest someone, why not go after the people who forgot
to encrype the keys on they're decoder? That was the big finding that
led to DeCSS.

---

from http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,32263,00.html :

Essentially, the two European hackers who developed the DeCSS utility
that copies a DVD movie disc were able to break the code because one of
the product's licens inadvertently neglected to encrypt the decryption
key.

<snip>

All licensees of DVD technology have to encrypt their decryption key so
no one can reverse-engineer the playback software and extract the key.

Well, one licensee didn't encrypt their key. The developers of DeCSS, a
Norwegian group called MoRE (Masters of Reverse Engineering) got a key
by reverse-engineering the XingDVD player, from Xing Technologies, a
subsidiary of RealNetworks.

---

Considering that DVD encryption is only a 40-bit key, it was only a
matter of time. Maybe the industry should go after the Goverment to
allow export of strong encryption.

At this point, it's not like arresting the guy is going to stop piracy,
and it's pretty much too late to change the encryption scheme now,
unless you provide free easy upgrades to all the existing players
(yeah...right...)