Re: [TCLUG:19519] Debian logout question

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Mike Hicks wrote:
> Nate Carlson wrote:
> > Edit .bash_logout in /etc/skel and add a 'clear' command    :)
> Well, and edit in $HOME for any users you have on your system.  The
> /etc/skel trick only works for users that you add later (unless you use
> symlinks or something..)

The other option is to switch over to using mingetty instead of Debian's
default getty (mingetty is the default used by most RPM-based distros). In
your /etc/inittab, you have a few lines that look like:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty2

Change them to:

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --noclear tty1
2:23:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2

The --noclear option specifies that the tty should *not* be cleared on
logout -- I use this on tty1 so that my init messages aren't cleared.

Pacem in Terris / Mir / Shanti / Salaam / Heiwa
Kevin R. Bullock