Re: [TCLUG:19571] [OT] How many mult/second?

On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Timothy Wilson wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Does anyone know how many multiplications/second that recent vintage
> Intel/AMD chips can do? I'd like to compare the figure to the ENIAC from the
> 1940s that could do 300/s.

It's on the order of millions -- hence Mflops.  I can't tell you what the
current chips run (bet it's on an Intel website somewhere) but I can tell
you that clock speeds of 200kHz were not uncommon.  I forget when the 1MHz
clock speed was broken, but it's in the lifetimes of some list members --
more that you might think!

Phil

--
Lottery:    a tax on people who are bad at math