Re: [TCLUG:19594] apt-get errors

^chewie wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 13, 2000 at 02:48:24PM +0000, John Hawley wrote:
> > Debian gurus:
> >
> > Wonder if I've corrupted one of my Debian installations somehow.
> >
> > On an 'apt-get dist-upgrade', or sometimes on an 'install' I get a lot
> > of http 404 errors.  (I'm on 'frozen' release.)  If I browse to the
>
> Heh.  Yeah.  It's called 'apt-get update' to update your package lists with the
> new available versions.  You can't download older versions of packages if the
> newer versions have been released. ;-)  The only way to get legacy packages is
> to switch to an older distribution.

As I mentioned in the original post that I did do an 'apt-get update'.  Within the
space of an hour (read your msg, Ben), I did the update and the install on two
similiar machines and one worked and the other didn't.  Oh, well, looks like I
majorly fudged one system.

> apt-get update
> apt-get dist-upgrade -y -u
>
> Read apt-get and the various documents about Debian Policy, packaging, and user
> guides.  There's lots of material out there for your to read to fully
> understand the system you're using, and I urge you to go on a learning binge.
> All of this information is out there, all you have to do is look for it and
> read it.

Well, yes, it would be nice to have the time to read all the docs :(.  I don't
post willy-nilly to this list -- only after hours of fiddling, skimming manpages
and docs, checking deja, etc.  I hope I haven't put out too many RTFM questions!

-jh