Re: [TCLUG:19629] Login problem

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, Gabe Turner wrote:

> You most likely don't have a .xinitrc file setup.  You need to create a .xinitrc that starts up your window manager and such...
>
> Gabe

Apu, To make your setup file, type your user name, then your password.
Instead of pressing enter after your password, press F1.  That will give you
a single xterm, via whihc you can make an .xsession file.  This file
contains the commands to start your session (usually just the name of your
window manager of choice), and should be marked executable (chmod 700
.xsession).  Exit the xterm, which will return you to the login prompt, and
log in normally.

Gabe, .xinitrc is for startx.  He's using xdm, which uses .xsession ;)

-David