Re: [TCLUG:19655] XEmacs, gnuclient, ssh & xauth

Fin de Siecle <cbidler@talkware.net> writes:

> Jon Schewe wrote:
> >
> Well, I don't know boo-ya about ssh, but I've had similar problems with
> network X sessions.
> First, since you don't explicitly mention it, did you add eggplant to
> sun3-50's allowed xhosts?
> The way I like to do it is to add, for your example, 'xhost
> +eggplant.mtu.net' to your .xinitrc
> on sun3-50.  If you don't do this, you'll get connection failures.

I've tried xhost+ on sun3-50 and that didn't seem to help.

> Also, your sentence seems
> to be saying that you're diverting a /running/ XEmacs session to
> sun3-50, which I have never tried;
> if instead you're starting an XEMacs session on eggplant and it's dying
> right away, this would be
> explained by the lack of X permissions, as XEMacs doesn't like not being
> able to init a display. :)

I start XEmacs on eggplant with a display, in fact I'm using it right now to
write this mail.  But with gnuclient you're able to open another display to
a currently running XEmacs.

> Another thing you might try is making sure that the user doing all this
> has a valid .Xauthority (or
> is it .XAuthority?  Damn case-sensitive filesystems...) -- the only way
> I know of to do this is to
> see if the user has one.  If not, start an X session locally. If they
> do, delete it and start an X
> session locally, as it may have become corrupt (this has happened to me;
> the error messages contain the string 'XMIT-MAGIC-COOKIE'.)

Just tried that and it didn't help.

Here's the output from my last try, just after deleting the .Xauthority file,
logging out of my xsession on sun3-50, then logging back in.

>xauth list
sun3-50.mn.mtu.net:0  MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE-1  07575a60574825453a30523f79422303
jpschewe@disk:~
>ssh eggplant
Last login: Mon Jul 17 19:03:42 2000 from disk.mn.mtu.net
Have a lot of fun...
jpschewe@eggplant:~
>echo $DISPLAY
eggplant:10.0
jpschewe@eggplant:~
>gnuclient
X11 connection rejected because of wrong authentication at Mon Jul 17 23:14:48 2000.
Rejected connection at Mon Jul 17 23:14:48 2000: X11 connection from eggplant.mn.mtu.net port 3797

--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe