Mandrake 7.1, Rawwrite, and Win98 - Incompatible?

I have a PII-400 from Gateway running Win98 (it's what it came with, and I'm
having troubles getting things to back up onto the CD burner, so I'm not about
to mess much with it).

I wanted to try the Mandrake 7.0 or 7.1 in its own partition.   I didn't get
far.   Rawwrite, RawwriteWin, and rawrite all crashed.  The DOS program claims
it can't figure out the number of sectors per track on a 3 1/2" floppy - that
had been repeatedly reformatted to the standard specs.  The Windows versions
report a module called something like "load16.dll" can't load under one version
of Mandrake (7.1) and reports a "disk write error" under the other version (7.0)
-- without lighting the access light of the floppy drive.

I thought maybe I forgot how rawwrite worked, so I tried the "read" tab.  Then,
Rawwrite told me I didn't have read permissions on my own CD-ROM drive.

Rawwrite worked fine on the old machine downstairs when I went to install RedHat
on it alone.  Trying the versions of rawwrite on the RedHat distro disk gave me
similar crashes.

Somehow, my machine is not compatible with any of the versions of rawwrite.
Any advice?

With 8 GB of materials on the HD of the new machine, I'm not interested in
experimenting with the machine, at least until I can get some program that will
do a real backup (backing up 8 GB of files by copying to CD with a file manager
is not attractive).

--
Peter Schuman        paschuman@uswest.net

Vegetarians eat vegetables:  Beware of humanitarians!