Re: [TCLUG:19758] Configuring 675 modem

On Wed, 31 Dec 1969, you wrote:

can you ping the 675?   The 675 defaults to a 10.0.0.1 ip addres
on eth0.  If your machine doesn't fall into that subnet you won't be
able to telnet to it.

You should be able to connect with Hyperterminal.....
I have run across several a 675 that has Telnet disabled
until you set an exec password.

set hyperterm to run at 3840  8 N 1  No flow control...

If you find that your Cbos has been corrupted you need to reinstall it.

The following is taken from Cisco on how to do this.  Be warned if you screw
this up...  Well you know.

BTW, if you need the CBOS 2.2 firmware let me know and I'll send it to you.

----------
Hey there, is it possible to add this stuff to the next X-ray or tools CD.

Cisco 675 CBOS 2.2 update and directions

  Upgrading your Cisco 675 External Modem to the latest software release
involves
  the following four processes:

    1.Downloading the latest Cisco 675 External Modem operating system
      (version 2.2) to your hard drive.
    2.Downloading the Commander software (version 1.2) to your hard drive.
    3.Upgrading your existing Cisco 675 External Modem operating system to
      the new version 2.2 that you will have downloaded to your hard drive.
    4.Installing the Commander software (version 1.2).

      You may want to print these instructions at this point so that you can
      easily refer to them as you are going through the Cisco 675 External
      Modem download processes. If you do not have a printer, you may
      save these instructions as a Word file and then open them on your
      desktop so that you can follow along as you complete the processes.

  Process 1 - Downloading the Cisco 675 External Modem operating system
  (version 2.2) to your hard drive:

      Create a folder on your hard drive. (The root directory is recommended
for
      convenience).
      Select the hyperlink named "675 2.2 CBOS Code" and save it to your new
      folder located on your hard drive. This file is Winzip compressed. Use
      Winzip or Aladdin Expander to decompress the file. If you need Aladdin
      Expander you can download it free here or if you need Winzip you can
      download a trial copy here.

  Process 2 - Downloading Commander v1.2 to your hard drive:

  Commander v1.2 software is required and will offer you the following:

      The ability to reset passwords that better protect the security of your
Cisco
      675 External Modem.
      Statistical output that indicates performance on your Cisco 675 External
      Modem.
      Management information on your Cisco 675 External Modem.

  In order to download the Commander v1.2 software, please complete the
  following:

      Create a folder on your hard drive. (The root directory is recommended
for
      convenience).
      Select the hyperlink named "675 Commander 1.2 for Windows® " and
      save it to your new folder located on your hard drive. This file is
Winzip
      compressed. Use Winzip or Aladdin Expander to decompress the file. If
      you need Aladdin Expander you can download it free here or if you need
      Winzip you can download a trial copy here.

  Process 3 - Upgrading your existing Cisco 675 External Modem operating
  system to version 2.2:

      Ensure that your PC, Ethernet Card and Cisco 675 External Modem are
      connected, configured and operational. This should be apparent if you're
      currently using MegaBit Services.
      Ensure that the serial cable is installed between the PCs COM Port
      (DB-9) and the Cisco 675s MGMT Port (RJ-45). If you are unsure,
      please consult your MegaBit Services User Guide. The serial cable
      facilitates upgrading the Cisco 675 External Modem operating system.
      Note to which PC COM Port that the serial cable is installed. You will
need
      this information for the next step.

  Configure HyperTerminal

  The following step assumes that you have not created a session icon for
  HyperTerminal and the Cisco 675 External Modem.

      Navigate to the HyperTerminal application.

  If you are a Windows® 98 user, you may have to install HyperTerminal from
your
  Windows® 98 compact disc. If Hyperterminal is not working properly, for
  example, if you are receiving an "illegal operation" message, please go to
the
  following website and upgrade your existing Hyperterminal application:
  http://www.hilgraeve.com/

      Select and name an icon for the Cisco 675 External Modem.
      In the "Connect using" box select the appropriate COM Port that the
serial
      cable is installed.
      In the "Properties" window, ensure these port settings:

         Bits per second: 38400
         Data bits: 8
         Parity: None
         Stop bits: 1
         Flow control: None

      Click OK and press [Enter].

      A HyperTerminal Session window appears with a welcome message and
      a password prompt.

      Hello!

      CBOS v2.1

      User Access Verification

      Password:

      If you don't see this information, press [ENTER] a few times.
      If you still don't see the welcome message, verify connections and power
      to your modem.
      If you just see "cbos>", that is OK.
      You don't need a password to configure the modem.
      At the password prompt press [ENTER].

  Updating the Modem Operating System

  The following step requires your modem to be in the "enable" mode. This mode
  allows changes in configuration.

      At the cbos> prompt, type: enable and press [ENTER].
      At the password prompt press [ENTER].

      The enable mode ships default from Cisco System without an enable mode
      password. If you have previously programmed an enable mode password,
      enter that password now.

      The following should be displayed:

      cbos>enable

      Password:

      cbos#

  The pound sign indicates that you are in the enable mode.

  Before continuing with the following steps, please read the next few lines
of
  directions up to the WARNING message below.

      At the cbos# prompt, type: set download code then press [ENTER].
      The following should be displayed:

      cbos#set download code

      Downloading

      CCCCC

      As the Cs are appearing, continue onto the next step.
      On the HyperTerminal toolbar, select Transfer. Select Send File.
      An additional Window pops up entitled "Send File". Select Browse.
      You will be selecting the file that you downloaded into a new folder.
      Select your hard drive and locate the folder and file that you created
earlier.
      Select the file nsrouter.c675.2.2.0.000.ima.
      In the Send File Window, Protocol field, ensure that Xmodem is
selected.
      In the Send File Window, select the Send button.

  WARNING! It is extremely important that power is not interrupted to your
  equipment!

      After transfer is complete (approximately 6 minutes), the new Cisco
      software self extracts. You should allow the automatic process to occur
      and do not use your computer.
      At the password prompt, press [ENTER]
      At the cbos> prompt, type: show version
      The following should be displayed:

      Cisco Broadband Operating
      System

      CBOSTM 675 Software
      (C675-I-M), Version v2.2

      Copyright @ 1986-1999 by
      cisco Systems, Inc.

      Compiled Aug 24 1999
      18:31:28

      NVRAM image at 0x1032bfa0

  Your Cisco 675 External Modem is now upgraded.