Re: [TCLUG:19794] Downside to Debian?

On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 08:07:50PM -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> > installed and yes, apt-get is fabulous); but I want to know of the
> > downsides I might not be aware of. Are there any? Has anyone used
> > hardware this slow and upgraded the kernel to a 2.2.x version, and
> > is it the 'win-lose' proposition I expect it is (more modern but
> > slower)? If you have the time, any advice would be appreciated.
> > Thank you,
>
> Kernel 2.2 runs fine on 486s. I'm running debian on a dx2/66 and
> package management is whats slooooow. Installing packages takes
> forever. Its the unpacking stage that takes forever. Its insane, I
> don't get it...

Heh.  You don't get it?  Might it be that you're trying to uncompress
a -9 gzipped tar file on extremely old and crochity hardware?  Might
it be that you have an old IDE or old SCSI that just doesn't compete
with your blazing UDMA IDE or Ultra-wide SCSI.  Could it be that dpkg
uses Perl extensively and that you're relying on Perl to interpret the
installation scripts (sorry unavoidable).  Hmm...  Interpreted
language on a 486 dx2/66...  Na, that shouldn't be slow at all.

*evil grin*

--
  Chad "^chewie, gunnarr" Walstrom <chewie@wookimus.net>
              http://wookimus.net/chewie