Re: [TCLUG:18463] Distro war ;p (was openssh upgrade...)

"Kevin R. Bullock" <kbullock@ringworld.org> writes:

> On Wed, 31 May 2000 Nick.T.Reinking@supervalu.com wrote:
>
> > While I can't speak about Redhat, I do know that SuSE's
> > YaST can do apt-get type stuff, even with just the simple
> > download version of SuSE.
>
> Yes, I am aware of this. Though I still haven't managed to get my SuSE 6.3
> install to upgrade to 6.4 on the 'Net, nor have I been able to find any
> ssh packages (!) for SuSE. I gave up and compiled it myself.

I've just done exactly what you're trying to do.  I just upgraded to 6.4 last
weekend via ftp.  Worked fine.  I used
ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/6.4/i386.de/suse to install from.  That way I get
get the crypto stuff, like ssh.  That's why you don't see it on SuSE's site.
Remember those stupid restrictions the US goverment has.

> YaST is a very nice tool. I enjoy working with it. But I want it to just
> find an ssh package when I ask for it.

BTW I have had problems with YaST every now and then.  Seems when I try and
add packages after I've installed the system, YaST prematurly senses that hte
server has closed the ftp connection so I have to tell manually it to try
again.  If it makes a difference I'm pushing through a Linux firewall to get there.

--
Jon Schewe
http://eggplant.mtu.net/~jpschewe