Re: [TCLUG:18516] Squid as an httpd-accelerator

On Thu, 1 Jun 2000, Scott Dier wrote:

> * Timothy Wilson <wilson@visi.com> [000601 17:49]:
> > I'm interested in the reverse. I think it's usually called reverse proxying.
> > Squid people apparently call it httpd acceleration. I want to set up Squid
>
> The question is, does your volume of traffic really need this?
>
> Do you have a pegged machine, and if so, is it because of bad database
> pratcice or that your getting 5gazillion hits/second?

I'd say that the machine is definitely pegged. Zope renders all HTML on the
fly, even for "static" pages. All of out district's sites are currently
being handled by a single "server" that consists of a cast-off IBM desktop
PC with a P120 (overdrive 120 no less) 48 MB RAM (recently upgraded from 32
MB), 4 GB IDE drive, and 3Com 3C509 ISA NIC. Not exactly a server
powerhouse. Putting squid on this machine would probably cause it to
explode.

My hope is that I'll be able to raise the money this summer to buy a VA
FullOn 2x2 rackmount server. At that point, Zope may run just fine without a
proxy. BTW, if any of you work for companies that make donations for
technology projects in schools, please let me know. The server I have my eye
on is only about $3500. Hopefully, it can get it before summer's over and I

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      | Visit Sibley online:         | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS | http://www.isd197.k12.mn.us/ | http://www.zope.org/