Re: [TCLUG:18702] SQOTD (simple Q. of the day)

Tim--

I would use:

tar cvz /path/to/user/dir/* > /path/to/desired/tar/location/file.tar.gz

c = create
v = verbose mode (for debug or just to watch
z = gzip compress it

.tar.gz or .tgz are both acceptable extentions, just depends on your
school of thought (no pun intended)

The key to this whole thing is the ">" redirect that I think you were
missing...definately critical or garbage will appear.

Make sure the /* and the .tar.gz are not in the same dir for this
operation or it will recurse and fill the disk.

Regards,
Mark