First Impressions: Storm Linux

Gound myself in need of a print server. Feeling lazy, I poped in the
Storm Linux CD Stormix gave me at the Simple ebusiness Expo yesterday
(on a totally unrelated note...am I the only one who feels the urge to
make a costumed mascot's head spin around a few times with a quick
uppercut? Even if it is a cute penguin?)

Well, so far I'm impressed. The installer seems to be better that
Corel's. (I had a few issues with Corel's install) The biggest issue so
far is that it doesn't support a network install. You have to have a
CDROM drive.

The other issue is that it ejected the cd-rom before spinning it down,
and the cdrom drive isn't mounted in the case, but sitting on it's side.
(And the drive doesn't have any tabs to hold the disk in)

So the tray opened and the CD wen't shooting to the other side of
Dilbertville.

The installed did a decent job of finding hardware. If I opted to
install X windows it properly detected my video card. The network card
wasn't detected though, and it really should have been (3c509)

I'm not complaing much about that since I knew what card I had and what
module it needed and how to load that module, but someone new to Linux
most likely would not have. Kinda dissapointing since the network config
part of the install worked once the NIC driver was up.

I think I'll recomend Storm over Corel, though Corel has the best GUI
samba browser I've seen.

I think I'll try compiling their GUI package manager under
potato...hehe.

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | "Reality is merely an illusion,