Re: [TCLUG:18654] newusers

Jonathan Kline wrote:

> Okay on my slack system, I have a file in /usr/sbin called newusers, The
> Man page says it can be used to add users in bulk which could be extreamly
> useful!!!  The man page however does not give examples of the
> layout/format of the input file.... Has anyone ever used this before?
> Does anyone know the format of the file?

The man page on my RH box says it's in the same format as the standard
password file, with the following exceptions:
       pw_passwd This field will be encrypted and used as the new
                 value of the encrypted password.

       pw_age    This field will be ignored for shadow  passwords
                 if the user already exists.

       pw_gid    This field may be the name of an existing group,
                 in which case the named user will be added as  a
                 member.   If  a  non-existent numerical group is
                 given, a new group will be created  having  this
                 number.

       pw_dir    This  field  will  be checked for existence as a
                 directory and a new directory with the same name
                 will  be  created  if it does not already exist.
                 The ownership of the directory will be set to be
                 that of the user being created or updated.

--
Clay Fandre
Twin Cities Linux Users Group