Weird slow X4.0 Startup

  Hi,

Ok, I had to take the nvidia card out of my wife's machine and put an old
S3ViRGe card in it's place. I setup X4.0 for it, and it does work fine,
but it takes several minutes to start.

Here's what happens in the log file. It gets up to:

(II) S3VIRGE(0): initializing int10
(II) S3VIRGE(0): Primary V_BIOS segment is: 0xc000
(II) S3VIRGE(0): VESA Bios detected
(--) S3VIRGE(0): Chipset: "virge dx"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libddc.a
(II) Module ddc: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
        compiled for 4.0, module version = 1.0.0

Then it sits there for like 20 seconds and goes:

(II) S3VIRGE(0): VESA VBE DDC supported

...and THEN it waits around 2 minutes before going on:

Manufacturer: @@@  Model: 0 Serial#: 0  Year: 1990 Week: 0
EDID Version: 0.0
Analog Display Input,  Input Voltage Level: 0.700/0.300 V
Sync:
Max H-Image Size [cm]: H-Size may change,  V-Size may change
Gamma: 1.00
DPMS capabilities:  ;   Monochorome/GrayScale Display

... and so on, starting normally from that point.

The device section in XF86Config is:
Section "Device"
    Identifier  "S3V"
    Driver      "s3virge"
    #VideoRam    4096
    #Option "xaa_benchmark"
    #Option "fifo_moderate"
    #Option "pci_burst_on"
    #Option "pci_retry"
    # Insert Clocks lines here if appropriate
EndSection

Anyone have any ideas? I don't have any other version of X on this box to
test with.

-Yaron