Re: [TCLUG:18911] Making LILO work with Reiserfs

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Mike Hicks wrote:

> David Wood wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> >
> > > Jun 14 14:33:57 localhost kernel: Warning, log recovery starting on
> > > readonly filesystem
> >
> > Dont mount reiserfs as readonly ;)
>
> I'm not sure if ReiserFS filesystems are supposed to be mounted readonly
> on boot, though I know that ext2 partitions usually are (the root fs,
> anyway).  This is because fsck doesn't like to repair filesystems that
> are mounted read-write.  The filesystem is just readonly on boot.  After
> the fsck is performed, the partition is usually remounted read-write.
>
> I think the warning is mainly complaining about the recovery, not the
> fact that the filesystem is mounted readonly.  If you want, you can try
> removing the `readonly' flag from your /etc/lilo.conf..

It's just a warning.  I typically work to eliminate all warnings, since I
consider a warning a nonfatal error. ;)

Mounting my root reiserfs as readwrite on boot not only eliminates that
warning, but it also skips the time needed to check and remount the /
partition.  Muahahha.. shall we say 10 seconds from lilo to login?

-David