Re: [TCLUG:19152] LOAD DATA INFILE

> On Sat, 24 Jun 2000, George M Swan III wrote:
>
> > > database or a wide, un-normalized database.
> > Yes I suppose I should have,
> >  ...but I didna know no better...... yet. :-)
> >
> > Seriously, chewie, what's 'normalized' and 'un-normalized mean'?
> > (I'm headed for the 6C to B&N, so I'll pick up on this later.)
>
> A good quick book to look at for this is the O'Reilly MySQL & mSQL
> book, chapter 2. Sadly, the rest of the book is worthless. If you are
> going to use MySQL and need a good reference book (but nothing on
> normalization), by the DuBois book MySQL. It is excellent.
>
> Now, regarding normalization -- this is a fancy database way of saying
> that you don't repeat your data. ....
In other words a relational database optimizing performance by splitting
data into several tables to minimize storage space and other things.
Right???  Or is there something that keeps these two concepts separate:
1) normalized and 2) relational ???

... also I took note of the use of the term PRIMARY KEY, which would imply
indexing of the table upon which it was applied.  Which in turn would make
the action of LOAD DATA INFILE take much longer according to De Bois and
that it's a balancing act to decide which would take less time, 1)
muscling through without removing the indexing or 2) removing or desabling
the indexing.  And thus the importance of chewies' admonition, "[We should
first ask if the database is normalized or not.]"

Verrrrrrrrrry InterestingK! :-)

Thanks Luke.