Netscape fonts

Hi,

I've been living with Netscape not displaying fonts correctly since I
installed Linux, and I decided that it was time to fix this. I've posed
the question to #linux on DalNET and EfNET but nobody seems to have a
clue. So now I seek the wisdom of the TCLUG list.

Why does Netscape display many common fonts (like Verdana for instance)
incorrectly? For instance, if a page is written in Verdana, I see Courier
or some other ugly fixed-width font. The font sizes are wrong as well,
the displayed characters usually being far too small in size.

An example of a page which displays totally incorrectly would be Tucows
Linux, but nearly every page has at least some font display error. Any
advice appreciated.

TIA, Bill