Re: OpenLinux on T20

Chris Schumann wrote:

> It looks like IBM is actually taking orders for a ThinkPad T20 pre-loaded
> with Linux:
>
> 2647-L1U $4099 PIII 750 128M 20G 14.1T LNX
>
> The prices seems kind of outrageous, since the 92U is the same price, and
> has Windows 2000 and a DVD drive, but at least it's there.
>
> No Windows tax, but you pay for (I guess) the loss of economies of scale.
>
> Who's gonna buy one?

Not me.  I've been having fun loading OpenLinux onto a 600E.  Look
forward to documenting my efforts (and a Thinkpad 760ED).

I would guess that it would better to pay the "tax" and then buy Linux
in the aftermarket.

However, if we bought a few of these, maybe IBM would realize that there
is a real Linux market and give those of use with MWave modems and
soundcards "drivers" for them.

James Mckenzie
<include standard_disclaimer.h>
<include legal_notice.h>