Re: [TCLUG:15025] ilec/clec wars

I've been pretty impressed with McLeod.  We started with Ovation, and
they were assimilated into the McLeod collective.  But I think they're
great.  I called one afternoon about a BRI that never got turned up.
The next morning I came into work and there was a McLeod tech waiting at
my door for me.  I've NEVER seen US-West dispatch someone without making
me jump through a week or so of hoops.

In actuality, it's not that McLeod is so great, just that everyone is so
used to crumby service from the RBOCs, most people don't know that
telephone companies can have good customer service.  We've grown
accustomed to long hold times, poor service, and outages.  So anyone
that's only 1/2 as bad looks really good.  Hence my opinions on McLeod.

Not to mention my telephone services are 25-50% cheaper, and we have
less problems with our McLeod T's then we do with the US-West ones.

My feeling is, I'd buy service from McLeod even if it wasn't cheaper
than US-West, just to give UF-Worst less business.

As I was driving to work this morning KQ mentioned the fiber cut.  I
hadn't read the article, but I told Joe that I would bet that while
McLeod did cut the fiber, US-West probably improperly marked the ground
where the lines were.  Sure enough, the article confirms it.  US-West
didn't correctly stripe the ground where the cables were laying, so
McLeod started tearing through it.

US-West is now going to spin it and say this never would've happened if
the FCC hadn't allowed competition for local telco services.

ISP's have nightmares about backhoes.