My RH 7.0 trials.

Hey all, neat story for you. I have these 1U rackables (tm) to put in some
really cool cases for trade shows (ALS etc) and I am installing the OS's
today. They have those crappy motherboards with the i815e chipset that we all
love. I decided to try RH 7.0o cause I had hoped it would be less work to get
the onboard net stuff working (as there is no floppy installed to copy the
patches from) and I had hoped they'd have pulled some redhat magic on thier
kernel images for the chipset. No such luck. The OS installs fine. Only thing
that ticked me off there was that it needed disc two for 2 measly megabytes of
stuff at the end of the install. And of course I had left that CD in my burner
at home.

So I get it installed and tried to patch the kernel. It won't compile. I tried
completely stripping the .config of all options and starting fresh with no
patch. Still wouldn't compile. Perplexed I took a slackware CD and unzipped
the unmodified linux source. It won't compile. I got more warnings from and
errors from gcc than I have ever seen in my life. THis is an unmodified source
tree mind you (2.2.16) I was flabbergasted. What has RH done to GCC to make it
not compile a stock kernel? In my endevours to get a kernel installed that had
net support I tried to install a kernel-source image from 6.2. Won't install
cause it conflicts with glibc-dev, which you can't uninstall cause
kernel-headers-2.4.0-something needs it (can THIS be right?) which can't be
removed cause GCC needs it. The bottom line is that slackware ended up on the
nodes. Yes slackware. I am a believer Slackware is excellent. A simple yet
thorough install, and everything WORKS!

No I didn't have a full debian install disk or I'd have used that. All I have
is netinstall CD's. So I had no way of getting a kernel on there (or even
getting through the install for that matter)
--
Ben Lutgens  Work: 612.379.5941 Cell: 612.670.4789  Home: 651.703.9541
Systems Administrator Sistina Software Inc. http://www.globalfilesystem.org/

Internet Explorer (n): Another bug, that is, a feature that can't be turned
off, in Windows.  See also: monopoly.

PGP signature