Re: [TCLUG:82] Meeting Minutes

Another thanks for putting today's minutes on-line.  I had an unavoidable
conflict today that prevented me from attending the meeting and hauling
along my junk from last time.

Shannon, were you able to get your IP forwarding/masquerading problem
resolved?  A couple days ago I used the IP-Masquerading mini-HOWTO to let
my Win95 box share my Red Hat 5's PPP connection to the Internet.  Apart
from forgetting to enable IPv4 Forwarding in netcfg (not mentioned in the
HOWTO), it didn't take too long to get it working.  Anyway, if you're
still having troubles I'd be happy to share what I know.

Here's my suggestions for future Linux topics:

     - IP Forwarding/Masquerading/Firewalling (ipfwadm)

     - Linux Multimedia (.au, .wav, midi, mp3, RealPlayer, others.)
       Possible discussion of the Open Sound System (lite and pro).

     - Big Brother - a free Web-based multi-system monitoring/paging/email
       notification tool for Unix and Linux.  I just set this up at work
       and love it!  When one of my systems goes down, Big Brother
       (running on a dinky little Linux box with a 2400-baud modem) pages
       me with the error code and the IP address of the troubled box.  I
       can see the status of important resources like CPU and disk space
       on an automatically updating web page.

     - An introduction to X-Windows clients and servers.

     - Applixware or StarOffice demo

     - Linux: It has enough evangelists; is it a religion? :-)

     - "I fought the kernel, and the kernel won!"  The hazards and HOW-TOs
       of upgrading a Linux kernel and/or libc.

     - Linux development tools - the strongest part of Linux?

     - Linux and the ISP: dial-in config, cost and support issues.  I'd
       like to see this addressed from the point of view of an ISP, but
       people might be more interested in learning how to set up a PPP
       connection as an end-user.

     - Web-based Linux resources: Linux Gazette, www.linuxhq.com,
       others.  What are the best ones?

     - Porting games to Linux: The Quake/Quake II/Descent/Doom projects.

That enough for ya?

--
Carl Patten