Faxing

Well, i have done some fax server work with linux.
here is what i have found:

mgetty+sendfax
        This is the "standard" fax system.. it's flexable, it's reliable, it's
been around for a while.  the only major drawback, configuration may require
large ammounts of configuartion time (compared to MS fax in win95)  and some
experience with lpd/lpr, configuring /etc/inittab, and a few other things
(like setting up .pbm and .g3 converters)

you also may need to get other applications, like a G3 fax viewer for X

there are also a couple other fax systems

HylaFax
Hotwire Fax system (commercial)

a great source for applications, utilities, etc.. (including links to
commercial solutions) is http://www.xnet.com/~blatura/linapps.shtml

On 03-May-98 Scot Jenkins wrote:
> Joseph A. Heil wrote:
>
>>   Those were all good topics.  But here is some food for thought.
>> What kinds of problems can be solved using Linux (and the supporting
>> free/open software that runs on Linux systems) and what are the
>> tools used to solve those problems.  If it is a new problem we can
>> brain storm a possible solution.  If it a past solved problem, someone
>> could possibly give a simple synopsis of their solution to the problem.
>> Don't get me wrong, as a group we need to cover the basic topics such as
>> installation, maintenance, and administration, for all the newbies in
>> the group to Linux, but the I believe the bigger picture of Linux should
>> be on how to promote it as possible alternative solutions to the
>> MS giant.  It seems to me that a big problem free/open software is most
>> non-Unix people think if it is free it must work like junk.  So by using
>> tclug as a platform to promote Linux systems and solutions by our hands on
>> experiences, we can disprove all those Windows bigots.
>
> I agree with Joe, we need to continue to address newbie type issues, but
> at the same time tackle things as a group that we can use in business
> type settings; the SAMBA talk was an excellent example because you can
> use it both at home AND at work.  On a personal note, I'd like to figure
> out faxing.  It's one of the few things I'd like to do but don't yet
> know how; haven't had much time to spend on it either.  Once I get
> access to the web site, I'd like to set up something where we can
> centrally track topics and vote on them for each meeting.
>

> --
> Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
> Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26

TTYL,
        Ben Kochie (ben@intexp.com)

You can never underestimate the stupidity of the general public.
                                        -Scott Adams

To the engineer, the world is a toy box full of sub-optimized and
feature-poor toys.
                                        -How to tell an Engineer