RE: LUG - bash error and fat32

As always, thanks to everyone that replied.  I did some more checking on
the problem below.  I checked $PATH, and it looks like this:

/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/x11r6/bin:/usr/sbin/mh:/root/bin

Does this look about right for  'out of the box'  RH5.0?

I am also not able to use some other commands/programs while either
logged in as root or as another user. Here are a few of the commands and
the messages that were returned:

	# emacs
	bash: emacs: command not found
	(as an aside, I was forced to learn to use vi to view files:-) )

	# ls -l | more
	more: error in loading shared libraries libncurses.so.3: cannot open
	shared object file:  No such file or directory.

	#man grep
	bash: man: command not found

I also noticed that /usr now only contains '.', and '..'.  I think there
used to be many more files in that directory.  Do you think this could
be the problem?  If so, is there a way to get the files back in that
directory?  Or, is a reinstallation necessary/easier?

I've asked quite a few questions lately about PPP and FAT32 support, and
like I said, I greatly appreciate al the help.  Besides learning, my
main objective for getting these two items working is to download a
working java and the 'Code Warrior' clone.  Since I have not yet been
able to get my PNP modem working under RH5.0, I was hoping to FTP java
and 'Code Warrior' using windows 95, mount that drive under Linux, copy
it to the linux partition on my hard drive, and install (I'm this will
be a whole new learning experience).  However, as has been pointed out
to me, RH5.0 does not come out of the box with FAT32 support.  A patch
must be downloaded and applied.  The classic 'chicken or the egg'.

! am wondering if  on my single 5 gig hard drive, I could reformat a
portion of my current windows fat32 partition as dos/fat16?  If so,
would I then be able to download the fat32 patch using windows, copy it
to this newly created fat16/dos partition, mount this partition under
linux, copy the patch to a linux partition, then apply it?  Does this
sound like it would work?  Does anyone have any better ideas?

Thanks Again,
Randle