Re: [TCLUG:414] Marketing Linux

Jeff Fellows wrote:

[snipped interesting commentary]

> Will there be Westlaw and / or other proprietary software for Linux in 1999?
> You bet your bucks, especially when one considers the MS OS in 1999 will
> reportedly be NT.  Then the choice in OS's for a new computer will suddenly
> be NT for $300 or Linux for $50, while Windoze is reportedly being phased
> out.
>
> Now add in the economic changes that are coming up with Intel hitting the
> courts of justice, and suddenly what platforms are being developed for or
> ported to, at what price points, and the OS choices are blown wide open.
>
> The idea that Linux might be installed in half of the new computers bought
> in 2001 is suddenly plausible.

[snipped commentary]

I sure hope you are right.  It would be great if we
had the desktop application availability in Linux
too!  I am all for it and am willing to purchase
software that suits my needs.  I currently own and
use RedHat 5.0 official distribution, Applixware
Office Suite, and RedHat Motif 2.1 (mwm is my win mgr).
If Finale and Cakewalk came along for Linux, you bet
I would support them by buying their product.

Tony