RE: [TCLUG:435] High School needs Linux info

Hi,

	Here are some of my goofy ideas:
	1) Depending on the amount of onboard video RAM, you may not need to upgrade the video.  1M VRAM will support 1024x768x256 I believe.  On a 486, running a high-color mode will slow things way down IMHO.
	2) I would spend some money on a few large hard drives for the servers.  Lots of students means lots of data!
	3) Invest in a good tape backup system!  Not only will it save you from data loss due to hardware failures, but also can lead to less whining after somebody deletes their own files or misconfigures their system.
	4) Keep the configuration of each machine as similar as possible.  That way when you make a configuration change, you don't have to figure out 40 different ways to make the change on each different setup.
	5) RAM upgrades can give an older system a real performance boost under Linux.  Less swap = more apparent performance.
	6) Don't be afraid to look at some commercial Linux software.  You mentioned StarOffice; consider also LinuxCad (www.linuxcad.com) for drafting.  Many Linux software vendors offer deep educational discounts.

	Sounds like fun!

	Jim Walters