How can I debug this?

I seem to be having a problem with my PPP connection to my ISP.

For a little background:

I'm currently using Linux for mostly routing perposes in my home's
LAN.  I have a NT server that is used for WWW hosting and my BBS.  The
BBS supports telent.

I have a dedicated 56K modem on the Linux machine which is connected
to my ISP (currectly a 33.6 modem on the other side though) and I have
static IP#s for all of my machines.

What I'm seeing is that periodically (has happened a couple of times
in the last 2 weeks), My system seems to drop from the Internet (best
way I can say this). My modem is still connected to my ISP, but when I
type route, the route table returned is very very slow.  Any  attempt
to connect out to a web site usually doesn't work.

When I'm at work and try to ping my machine at home, I do not get a
response.  Traceroute does not work either.

Then if I reboot the system and retry the ping, everything works fine.

Any ideas on where I can start to debug this?

Thanks!

Jen
jenmcnitt@yahoo.com