amd hangs on boot

I've been running Redhat 4.2 for some time on both a laptop and a
desktop that are networked.  Recently, amd just hangs during the boot
process.  I haven't modified any amd config files.  My only options are:

a) ctrl-alt-del and reboot single user; If I boot single and then do
"init 3" it works.  If I do this, I'm good for a couple of "normal"
bootups (somewhere between 3-5); then I need to repeat the process when
amd starts hanging again.

b) telnet in from another machine and kill amd process; then it boots ok
and I have to manually restart amd: /etc/rc.d/init.d/amd.init start.

Version:
$ rpm -q amd

amd-920824upl102-8

Any ideas?
--
Scot W. Jenkins <swjenkins@ibm.net>
Key fingerprint = 82 20 A8 4E 46 82 CE D4  F6 77 58 59 46 92 28 26