Re: [TCLUG:522] Newbie alert!

Brian E. Seppanen wrote:

> When I went through and installed RedHat5.1 about a month
> ago, I created
> extended partitions as follows:
>
> one 750MB partition mounted as /usr
> one 250MB partition mounted as /home
> and one 250MB partition mounted as /
>
> Dont' ask me why I did this, because its obviously one of
> the most inefficient things I could have done.  I've got
> disk space useage of 93% on /usr and
> 37% on / and 0% on home.  The reason this is so silly is
> because I personally am using this as a desktop computer, I
> will never have 250MB of disk useage on home.  I probably
> will never use this pc as a multi-user server, don't ask me
> why I laid it out like it was going to be one.  If I were
> smart I would have done 1.25 GB on /.  Is there any way I
> can undo this mess without having to reinstall?  I've done

Sorry, but I think a re-install is the best way to handle this.  But
don't make it hard on yourself: copy all your customized files (your
.xinitrc, .fvwmrc or whatever, and any "things" you've created) to
floppies, then run the re-install using a better partition scheme, and
once the software starts installing, go grab a beer and relax a while.
Then come back, boot the new system, create your user account and copy
all of your custom files back from the floppy.  Piece of cake, you're
done.

> several installs of various flavors so I suppose one more
> won't kill, but I'd rather not.  I was wondering if it would
> be possible to unmount /home on /dev/hda7 and remount it
> somewhere else perhaps /usr/share and try to optimize the
> storeage a little more.  Any suggestions would be

You could use different mounting schemes in /etc/fstab to mount
different chunks of the /usr partition in the 250MB partition, but this
seems kinda clumsy.  I think re-partitioning is better, will definitely
feel cleaner.

Paul