Re: [TCLUG:564] Standard Newbie Dialup problem

whisper@bitstream.net wrote:

> another thing you might want to try is 'dip', in test mode.  i have used
> this quite a few times to find out what was going on, and even used to
> use it exclusivly to log in to my isp.  basically, from the prompt, type
> 'dip -t'.  from there you will get the dip prompt.  at the prompt type
> 'port /dev/modem', to tell it which com port your modem is at, and then
> type in 'term', this will stick you into terminal mode, where you can type
> in at commands.  i've always just typed in a generic init, ex 'AT&F&C1&D2',
> and then type in the isp's number 'ATDT<insert phone number>'.  from here
> on it is all manually done, you must enter in the correct info to log in.
> this will tell you if your script is set up correctly, or if you are
> getting dropped even before you can send the info.  after entering all the
> info just exit term with a '^]', it will then kick you back out to the dip
> prompt, where you can type 'default', and 'mode ppp'.  after all of this
> you should be then at the command prompt, and after a bit looking at
> 'ifconfig' should show your ppp connection.  if it does not, and you made
> it all the way through entering the info, then i would make sure that you
> have the hosts file set up correctly

I looked at the messages file and found the following lines at the end:

Connect: ppp0<--> /dev/cua2
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Connection terminated

After looking at the messages file, I tried the dip test as outlined above and was
able to dial-in.  The question is why cannot I login to my ISP through other
means??

Perry Hoekstra