Re: [TCLUG:607] Mixing Alphas and x86s

Sometime around the 11st of July in 1998, the wannabe 3|173 h4ck3r Tim Wilson sed:

> Thanks for all the info at the TCLUG meetings today. Very cool. I learned
> a lot.

I wish I could have come :(

> The question:  Let's say I've got a Alpha Linux server hooked up to a
> bunch of x86 machines in a LAN. (I wish I had an Alpha server) Anyway,
> let's say that I'd like to serve applications to the Intel boxes from the
> Alpha server. How would you compile the programs on the Alpha boxes so
> that they would run on the Intel boxes? Would you have to compile them on
> one of the Linux boxes and then copy the binaries over to the Alpha? I'm
> kind of curious about this.

Not having an Alpha either, I would assume that you would have to compile
any binaries you want on the platform you wish for them to execute, unless
you find some way to execute Alpha applications on an Intel box. I think I
heard something about this sometime but I haven't put too much faith into
it.

--
| Josh Becker                   - aka -                     JellyD |