RE: [TCLUG:628] Linux in the StarTribune

My first post too.

One thing that Linux has going for it is that it's free in multiple
senses. It's free in the sense of not having to be paid for, and it's free
in the sense of being open (anyone who knows how can do  anything they
want to it's source code).

Neither Windows nor the Mac OS have either of these qualities. Most
flavors of Unix do not either. The second sense of freedom appeals to
us geek types, but is relatively undervalued in the open market.

However, everybody understands the first sense of freedom.

This is especially important in the third world. I believe that
in places like Latin America and Africa the OS that remains
unencumbered by legal copyright issues will become the OS of choice.

Unless Uncle Bill and company give up on pushing the intellectual property
issues.

> I somehow feel that this is a poor choice for my "first post" to the List,
> but I just couldn't help but point out that there is one thing sorely
> missing from this thread:
>
> Mac OS X (formerly known as Rhapsody, very-formerly known as OpenStep,
> very-very-formerly known as NextStep)

<SNIP>

--
Richard Seymour, Anarchy Software, Inc.
anarchy@anarchysoftware.com

The opinions expressed are those of my employer, not my own.