Re: [TCLUG:626] Iomega Zip Drive

ok.. i should point out the fact that there is a LARGE body of
documentation on scsi devices under linux..

first off. if you have anything higher than 2.0.20 you should not have to
download any kind of ppa module, it's been a part of the kernel for some
time now.. you may be getting an older code than what is in the kernel..
second.. for reasons of macintosh compatability, all "ibm pre-formated"
zip disks are one single partition, type 6, primary #4 /dev/sdx4
best way to mount that is with the vfat type option (mount -t vfat)
if you don't have vfat support.. modprobe vfat (or install inline)  that
will give you all the long filenames we know and love. ;)

linux will take in all scsi devices detected on boot, and then assign them
device names based on order of detection.. (scsi0: id0: lun0: == sda)
the only thing that is anoying, if you have a zip drive on ID5, and have a
hard drive, on ID8 (wide scsi), if you pull the zip drive out of the
chain.. the ID8 device moves into the zip drives device slot.. this can be
very annoying when trying to maintain a /etc/fstab.. :(  oh well