XWindows Configuration

I recently installed RedHat 5.1 on a Micron laptop.  I was able to get
800x600 with 64K colors under windows.  It has 2 MB of VRAM so I know that
this resolution should work.  However, I have not been able to get more
than 256 colors running X.  A friend of mine told me about an interactive
setup utility for XWindows that allows you to select clock speeds, etc.
and then test it without having to change config file, restart X, etc....
Does anyone know where I would be able to get this utility??  Any
information on installing X with that resolution on a laptop??  Thank you.

Mike Lindahl
mlindahl@princeton.edu