Re: [TCLUG:751] Problem running scripts - Need Advice

Quoting Brian E. Seppanen (seppanen@pconline.com):
> Bob Nolte wrote:
> >
> > I hope someone can give me a clue as to what to do to get my RH5.0 box
> > running scripts correctly. I'm presently taking the Unix I course at the
> > tech college.
> >
> > 2 Problems:
> >
> > 1.    I can't run any script without running in the current environment, ie.
> >         .  scriptname. I get the error   bash: [script]: command not found
> >         unless I do the dot thing.
>
> It sounds like its not finding the script within your path.  You would
> need to add it to your .profile, .login path statement.
> $PATH = /bin:/usr/bin:/<location of script>

  What you really want is to include your current directory, that
way instead of ". foo" , just run "foo".  The path then should then
be this "$PATH = /bin:/usr/bin:/."  The "." should be the last entry
in the path statement, otherwise you might end up running a custom
version of a program when you might have want the standard version which
would be found the the standard bin directories.

j.heil
--
Joseph A. Heil, Jr.

email:               heilja@dbsource.com
Home Office voice:   612-445-5180
Key fingerprint = 95 FC 3A F4 8A 10 05 85  3F 53 01 86 AD DB DB 51