kernel won't detect serial port

Hi,
	I recently installed  RedHat Linux 4.2 on a separate
hard drive on my Pentium 90 machine.

	After I installed Linux and before I configured the
PPP connection using "netcfg", I installed a new
56k Zoom Fax/Modem(UART 16550).  On hindsight this was a mistake
becuase I should have first checked the internet connection using the
old modem!

	I had problems installing the Zoom modem even on Windows
but the tech. support at the company walked me through it and
now the modem is installed on COM3 with IRQ=10.

	The problem is now Linux does not detect the port
when it  boots. The kernel only detects tty0 and tty1.  I tried
to recompile the kernel(2.0.30)  but that did not help.

	I have read through the serial-HOWTO and PPP-HOWTO but
I have not made any progress.

	When I use the setserial command:

setserial /dev/cua2 or /dev/ttyS2,

the UART attribute is returned as "unknown".

	Can anybody please suggest a solution.

Thanks,

Sanjay