Re: [TCLUG:1152] cable modems from mediaone

i'm not sure what your problems are.. but if you have the external cable box..
it's no problem to hook up a linux box.. all you need is dhcpcd to get the IP
address.. i know someone who uses it with his ip_masq router no problem

On 14-Sep-98 Steve Siegfried wrote:

> [...]
>
> So the upside is: it's _fast_ downloading and cheaper then 128KB ISDN.
>
> Downsides are as follows:
>
>       -Only W95, W98, NT and Mac are supported.  Linux users <sigh>
>        are out of luck (or more properly, on their own.. there's a FAQ
>        in most Linux distributions for cable-modems).
>
>       -It's only fast in one direction.  Upload speed is at V.34 modem
>        speeds (ie: 33.6 _BITS_ per second, roughly 1/30'th of download
>        speed).  Because of what I do for a living (I'm a Unix jock
>        working out of a home office), upload speed is important to me.
>        It'll be <sigh> at least 6-18 months before "two way" service
>        is available area wide.  I'd really like to personally thank
>        whomever made _that_ decision!
>
>       -You need netscape just to wake-up/shut-down the modem and the
>        connection hand-shake is _very_ slow (around 30 seconds, more
>        if you count loading netscape from disk).
>
>       -Their network seems slow to respond.  Ping times to the server
>        from my regular ISP are in the 200ms range.  Ping times from my
>        PC to the cable-modem server, while faster, vary widely..
>        almost like I have trouble getting the server's attention.
>
>       -Their telephone order people are pretty clue impaired.  It took
>        over an hour and a half just to get the service ordered over the
>        phone...  and I already had MediaOne cable for TV.  On the up
>        side, the installation people were very fast and knowledgeable,
>        installing the service in less time than it took just to order
>        it over the phone.
>
>       -DNS Name service is unreliable outside of office hours, making
>        web browsing a hit or miss deal late at night.
>
>       -News goes back 2 days or less.
>
>       -Technical support is almost nonexistant.
>
> Given some of the constraints that MediaOne is putting on their users
> (no static IP available, they don't want you connecting your puter to
> both their service and a local network, poor new server article
> retention, et al), I'm probably gonna drop it and go with ISDN until I
> can get DSL.
>
> In the end DSL (if you can get it) is probably faster, cheaper and more
> reliable.
>
> Hope this helps,

>      /|   |   H E Y   K I D S !!              |
>   \'o.O'  |    Make BIG $$$ on the Internet   |  Steve Siegfried
>   =(___)= |    from home in your spare time.  |  sos@skypoint.com
>      U    |    Mail $5 and SASE to:           |
>
> UserCx@aol.com wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> Is there anybody here who is using this  service ?
>> I do not have cable and so it will
>> cost me ~ $49.00 per month and an $99.00 installation fee.
>>
>> I am not sure if it is as good as it sounds.
>>
>> I couldnot get one thing answered which is if it was possible for me
>> to host a web server from home and be permanently connected to the
>> net which US West claims is possible with their ADSL.
>>
>> But ADSL is  more expensive ~$400 of installation charges.
>>
>> If you are interested on how to get it to work with Linux there is a

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)