Re: [TCLUG:45] Volume Management?

On Tue, 15 Sep 1998, Chris Kesler wrote:

> I was just trying to compile from the source without much luck.  I found
> an rpm at ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/contrib/i386/md-035-3.i386.rpm .  Cool!
>
> By the way, if anyone has figured out how to compile from the source
> tarball, I'd like to hear how you did it.  make says that MD_VERSION,
> among other things, is undefined.  So why does it work when I take that
> same tarball and build it on my ISP's machine?  Any ideas?
>

> Chris Kesler

Chris,

I have done it many times (I prefer to self-compile software.. not a huge
fan of pre-packaged RPM's and such). I have just grabbed raidtools from
ftp.kernel.org:/pub/linux/daemons/raid.. I have generally used pre3-0.42,
but .50beta3 has also worked. The trick is to either have kernel 2.0.35 or
to patch your kernel with raid 5 support.. if you do not do this, you are
missing the header files for raid, and that's why it complains. Let me
know if you can't get it..

-Nate Carlson
 The Infinite Loop
 natecars@infiniteloop.com