HP 820 cse printer

Hi Gang,

I have the above mentioned printer, and run Linux Redhat 5.1 on a Dell
P200. Not thinking clearly when I bought it, it is "Windows" compatible,
which for almost a year meant only Win 95. HP has finally come out with an
NT driver for it.

I haven't gotten it to work under Linux at all. I've tried printing ASCII
directly to the port and I've tried using a driver for a different HP
deskjet. I have two questions - anybody have any ideas on using this
printer, and if not, anybody familiar with writing Linux device drivers?

I'm willing to give the programming a shot, but I'm not sure how I would
determine the specific calls to this printer.

Thanks!
Mark Dunnett
M.A.D. Software, Inc.