Re: [TCLUG:1345] Turn off my computer?

motor wear is a small problem.. and usually only happens on budjet drives..
like the bigfoot.. (cough)

bearing wear isn't much of a problem.. unlike car bearings.. drive bearings are
tightly sealed.. the main problem is heat.. the grease that is in the bearings
tends to age a small ammount.. in fast scsi drives it's a more signifigant
problem.. if not properly cooled.. scsi drives will over-heat.. causing the
bearing grease to degrade into a glue-like sludge.. not good, no more spinning..
this is sometimes called sticktation.. one of my friends servers has this in
it's unpacking instructions.. "if the main drive (old seagate baracuda) does
not spinn up.. remove from system, drop from 12-16 inches onto hard surface,
and re-install in system.. repeat if necessary"  it may sound silly.. but it
works.. :)

On 23-Sep-98 Josh Becker wrote:
> I thought the real thing to worry about was the motor wearing out, or the
> bearings wearing out, or something.
>
> .. I leave all my machines on 24/7, of course. I was just curious.

Thank You,
        Ben Kochie (ben@nerp.net)